[game_preservation] Private SIG meeting at GDC

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Tue Mar 3 14:07:28 EST 2009

Devin,

Yeah, I know. Conflicts are unavoidable, but I had been hoping that time
for the private meeting would be relatively free and conveniently close
to the official meeting. So I figured for the 1.30 meeting having it
during lunch would be ok.

As for the conflict with Ian's talk, the word "bummer" comes to mind,
but that was GDC in its wisdom. Basically, they put the only two
historical thingies on the program up against each other --
deathmatch! Seriously, that was a rather uncool bit of conference
programming.

Henry

Devin Monnens wrote:

> I will be at the IGDA Charter meetings on...Monday I think it is. One

> of them is International Best Practices where I hope to bring some

> things up about networking between chapters nationally and

> internationally to better help coordinate contacts among IGDA members

> travelling or moving between chapters and for national and

> international SIG projects such as Preservation and the Memorials

> Project. (This and I get a $50 stipend and a meal for just being there!)

> There are a couple of interesting-looking panels going on at the same

> time as the SIG, but one of them is done by Ian Bogost, who I know and

> could probably get presentation details from. He's probably mainly

> pimping his new book about the 2600, which should go on the resource

> list anyway. Too bad he can't attend, but I'll see if he can make it

> to the super-secret lunch meeting if he isn't too busy prepping. (You

> do know that 1:30-2:30 is lunchtime, right? Are we going to have those

> nasty boxed lunches again, or are they gonna give us some REAL food?).

> Devin

> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 12:30 AM, Henry Lowood <lowood at stanford.edu

> <mailto:lowood at stanford.edu>> wrote:

> All,

> Here is some information about the Game Preservation SIG's

> activities at GDC.

> First, the annual roundtable is part of the GDC program. It will

> take place on Friday, the 27th, from 2.30 to 3.30pm, Room 113, in

> North Hall. This meeting is open to all.

> Second, this year we will have a private meeting for SIG members

> and others who know about it. :-) This meeting will take place

> just before the roundtable, from 1.30pm to 2.30pm, in the IGDA's

> luxurious private meeting room. The location just happens to be

> Room 112, right next door.

> I have a couple of agenda items for the private meeting from the

> NDIIPP project (the Library of Congress project, as some know

> it). In the public meeting, we will review the year's activities

> and plan for next year. If you have agenda items, please send

> them to me and I'll gather everything up for the meeting(s).

> Henry

> --

> Henry Lowood

> Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;

> Film & Media Collections

> HRG, Green Library

> 557 Escondido Mall, Stanford University Libraries

> Stanford CA 94305-6004 USA

> http://www.stanford.edu/~lowood <http://www.stanford.edu/%7Elowood>

> lowood at stanford.edu <mailto:lowood at stanford.edu>; 650-723-4602

> "Until next time..."