[game_preservation] A Life Well Wasted

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Mon Mar 9 19:23:37 EDT 2009

Hi Stuart,

Well, I guess we disagree a little on the value of gameplay
documentation (which is not just video). My point was that documenting
a complex multi-player or massively multi-player world is as much about
documenting events that happen in those spaces as it is about preserving
software. I don't think that's marginal at all.

If the focus is on "experiences," then I agree with you. That sort of
preservation is closer to re-enactment than history, however. Ok, yes,
it is possible that groups will get together to play Everquest in 100
years, just like they camp out in Civil War replica uniforms and fire
muskets in line. But that experience is NOT the experience of what
happens in virtual worlds today, i.e., it is not going to be history.
It is still going to take place 100 years from now, no matter how you
cut it. For similar reasons, I disagree strongly that playing with bots
is going to be informative, at least in terms of historical work.

In Preserving Virtual Worlds, our goal is to do both -- software
preservation and "event" preservation (for want of a better term). My
emphasis on documentation of player behavior is more of a corrective to
the idea that it's all about software preservation than it is an attempt
to say we should only do video capture and gather documentation. But if
you put a gun to my head and say pick one or the other, software or
documentation, you can't have both, as a historian I would go for
documentation.

Last, video capture of single-player games is absolutely useful; I
certainly agree with that statement.

Henry