[game_preservation] A Life Well Wasted

Stuart Feldhamer stuart.feldhamer at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 15:59:52 EDT 2009

I just listened to both episodes. I thought they were very well done,
although I think they would both have been improved by video - especially
the one on collectors. You can't begin to understand collectors until you
actually SEE some of their collections.

Henry, you made a comment in the podcast that a single player game can be
booted up in 100 years and enjoyed, but a multi-player game can't be,
because it requires other people to play, and the guy won't be able to find
other people to play it with him. Regardless if that is true or not, it's
impossible to preserve the actual experience of playing the game by taking
video and screenshots. The only way the guy in 100 years is going to be able
to have the experience of playing the game is if he manages to get a whole
bunch of other people to play with him, or if we can design suitably
convincing bots to take the place of the other players.

I agree that gameplay videos have value, but the same applies to gameplay
videos of single player games. What is specifically added to the mix by
preserving gameplay videos from multi-player games? It sounded from the
podcast as if this was some kind of solution to the problem of preserving
multi-player games in general. I think it's useful, but it only adds
marginally to the preservation of the game experience.

Stuart