[game_preservation] A Life Well Wasted

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Mon Mar 9 20:47:05 EDT 2009

Let's Play's are certainly (usually) not "super plays" (many record the
multiple attempts through a section, deaths and all) although super
plays are a good form of seeing the pure essence of a game.

Need more pure game footage though.

Andrew

Devin Monnens wrote:

> [...]

> to go back 100 years and see how little was filmed, and think how

> much we miss in history because of it (and how much actual film,

> audio and other culture has been lost permanently). It's easy to

> wave a hand if it's all you know, but certainly I'd welcome much

> much more to the IA's collections. I hope Henry got some good

> stuff of Tabular Rasa closing for instance! Once in a games

> lifetime experience that, not something that can ever be remade.

> On singleplayer: Let's Play's are awesome ;) Need to check and see

> if any are being made of MMO's, there are a odd few around - gets

> the experience with commentary, which is ace :) - footage is good,

> footage with commentary (optional is best) is even better, which I

> intend to try at some point.

> Reminded me to listen to these - I've added them to my MP3 player

> now, I don't know why I forgot before.

> Andrew

> Henry Lowood wrote:

>> Hi Stuart,

>> Well, I guess we disagree a little on the value of gameplay

>> documentation (which is not just video). My point was that

>> documenting a complex multi-player or massively multi-player

>> world is as much about documenting events that happen in those

>> spaces as it is about preserving software. I don't think that's

>> marginal at all.

>> If the focus is on "experiences," then I agree with you. That

>> sort of preservation is closer to re-enactment than history,

>> however. Ok, yes, it is possible that groups will get together

>> to play Everquest in 100 years, just like they camp out in Civil

>> War replica uniforms and fire muskets in line. But that

>> experience is NOT the experience of what happens in virtual

>> worlds today, i.e., it is not going to be history. It is still

>> going to take place 100 years from now, no matter how you cut

>> it. For similar reasons, I disagree strongly that playing with

>> bots is going to be informative, at least in terms of historical

>> work.

>> In Preserving Virtual Worlds, our goal is to do both -- software

>> preservation and "event" preservation (for want of a better

>> term). My emphasis on documentation of player behavior is more

>> of a corrective to the idea that it's all about software

>> preservation than it is an attempt to say we should only do video

>> capture and gather documentation. But if you put a gun to my

>> head and say pick one or the other, software or documentation,

>> you can't have both, as a historian I would go for documentation.

>> Last, video capture of single-player games is absolutely useful;

>> I certainly agree with that statement.

>> Henry

>> Stuart Feldhamer wrote:

>>> I just listened to both episodes. I thought they were very well

>>> done, although I think they would both have been improved by

>>> video – especially the one on collectors. You can’t begin to

>>> understand collectors until you actually SEE some of their

>>> collections.

>>> Henry, you made a comment in the podcast that a single player

>>> game can be booted up in 100 years and enjoyed, but a

>>> multi-player game can’t be, because it requires other people to

>>> play, and the guy won’t be able to find other people to play it

>>> with him. Regardless if that is true or not, it’s impossible to

>>> preserve the actual experience of playing the game by taking

>>> video and screenshots. The only way the guy in 100 years is

>>> going to be able to have the experience of playing the game is

>>> if he manages to get a whole bunch of other people to play with

>>> him, or if we can design suitably convincing bots to take the

>>> place of the other players.

>>> I agree that gameplay videos have value, but the same applies to

>>> gameplay videos of single player games. What is specifically

>>> added to the mix by preserving gameplay videos from multi-player

>>> games? It sounded from the podcast as if this was some kind of

>>> solution to the problem of preserving multi-player games in

>>> general. I think it’s useful, but it only adds marginally to the

>>> preservation of the game experience.

>>> Stuart

>>> *From:* game_preservation-bounces at igda.org

>>> <mailto:game_preservation-bounces at igda.org>

>>> Lowood

>>> *Sent:* Wednesday, March 04, 2009 1:11 PM

>>> *To:* IGDA Game Preservation SIG

>>> *Subject:* [game_preservation] A Life Well Wasted

>>> Some of you may be interested in the far-flung corners of the

>>> world that the Preserving Virtual Worlds project has reached.

>>> Others I know are intensely interested in the world of game

>>> collectors. In either case, check out Robert Ashley's new

>>> http://alifewellwasted.com/feed/atom/

>>> The second episode covers the world of game collectors, which I

>>> have to say is not so different in some ways from book

>>> collectors (said from a library perspective). The last quarter

>>> or so is about our project. Robert Ashley, the man behind ALWW,

>>> has said on forums he might release the interview with me in its

>>> entirety. He is a bright guy and a great interviewer -- makes

>>> you wonder about all the talent shaking loose from 1Up.

>>> Oh, the first podcast is also interesting, covering the history

>>> and demise of EGM.

>>> Henry

>>> 650-723-4602; lowood at stanford.edu <mailto:lowood at stanford.edu>;

>>> http://www.stanford.edu/~lowood <http://www.stanford.edu/%7Elowood>