[game_preservation] Online DRM

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Sun Mar 29 14:48:30 EDT 2009

This wasn't brought up much in the roundtable checking my notes, but I
think just everyone knew it was a problem - an actual example was
horrible offline DRM in a few games (of the diskette and tape era) doing
strange copy protection things - one was from an actual developer of 9
copy protections on one of his games, where the cracked version only
removed the 8 - the 9th just corrupted the game and didn't crash it, and
so that version became the "standard" that was available to play, and is
hardly therefore a good one to preserve!

Notes will be up next week which are more detailed on this bit, but
little online DRM was raised in any case.

I think we do need to get some information up on the difficulties of DRM
- in all it's forms - for preservation. A few good detailed articles
would help when we need to point to authority on it. A major point is
ownership, the right to copy (which copyright includes in many
countries, or hasn't been tested in in many more) EULA's, and of course
companies "promising" to remove the DRM if they go bust or stop the
service, which we have several very good examples of this not happening.

The pay-to-play service model is worrying for me, I prefer ownership, so
we will have to get someone then just me to look at it since I'm a
little biased into the "I can play it without an internet connection
thank you" realm.

Andrew