[game_preservation] GDC Report Coming Soon + FileFront shutting down

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Sun Mar 29 18:33:28 EDT 2009

Andrew,

I am in touch with the people I know at IA about this. Simon, too, I'm
sure. At the moment, like me, they do not have enough information to
understand the options for formal action or a project. It's important
that at some point someone summarize where things are and what sorts of
files would be involved in the rescue action.

Henry

Devin Monnens wrote:

> Andrew,

> If IA wants to host the FileFront stuff, why not just e-mail or

> contact them and let them know. I honestly don't know what IA would

> and would not take for archival.

> I'll try and write up some notes from the con as well, but I need to

> do class prep for tomorrow as well, so it might be next weekend.

> -D

> On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 11:41 AM, Andrew Armstrong

> <andrew at aarmstrong.org <mailto:andrew at aarmstrong.org>> wrote:

> I've got some notes to write up from GDC for the SIG, as well as a

> report I'll write on the status of the "State of preservation".

> This will be done next week, I'm still not back home yet :)

> Feel free, anyone who wasn't able to attend GDC or who has and

> wants to comment, to bring up items to talk about here - I'll try

> and summarise my notes, but questions on "Did you discuss XXX" or

> "Can I suggest project YYY" or "Can I help since I joined the SIG

> from seeing your leaflet" or even just "Hi I'm new" are all welcome.

> The main thing I want to bring to people's attention just now is

> there is some behind the scenes effort by Simon Carless, Jason

> Scott and including a few others to try and somehow get the 48

> Terabytes of files off FileFront - check this page for the sad

> news that it is closing tomorrow! http://farewell.filefront.com/

> Hopefully someone will be able to get the files in some form so

> they can be uploaded to the Internet Archive. If anyone has a

> contact at FileFront it would be worth ringing them now and seeing

> perhaps if the files can be secured somehow (or ring up/contact

> Jason Scott to help his efforts).

> "Until next time..."

> Captain Commando

Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;
Film & Media Collections
HRG, Green Library
557 Escondido Mall, Stanford University Libraries
Stanford CA 94305-6004 USA
http://www.stanford.edu/~lowood
lowood at stanford.edu; 650-723-4602