[game_preservation] GDC Report Coming Soon + FileFront shutting down

Devin Monnens evilcowclone at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 16:03:39 EDT 2009

Andrew,

If IA wants to host the FileFront stuff, why not just e-mail or contact them
and let them know. I honestly don't know what IA would and would not take
for archival.

I'll try and write up some notes from the con as well, but I need to do
class prep for tomorrow as well, so it might be next weekend.

-D

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 11:41 AM, Andrew Armstrong <andrew at aarmstrong.org>wrote:

> I've got some notes to write up from GDC for the SIG, as well as a report

> I'll write on the status of the "State of preservation". This will be done

> next week, I'm still not back home yet :)

> Feel free, anyone who wasn't able to attend GDC or who has and wants to

> comment, to bring up items to talk about here - I'll try and summarise my

> notes, but questions on "Did you discuss XXX" or "Can I suggest project YYY"

> or "Can I help since I joined the SIG from seeing your leaflet" or even just

> "Hi I'm new" are all welcome.

> The main thing I want to bring to people's attention just now is there is

> some behind the scenes effort by Simon Carless, Jason Scott and including a

> few others to try and somehow get the 48 Terabytes of files off FileFront -

> check this page for the sad news that it is closing tomorrow!

> http://farewell.filefront.com/

> Hopefully someone will be able to get the files in some form so they can be

> uploaded to the Internet Archive. If anyone has a contact at FileFront it

> would be worth ringing them now and seeing perhaps if the files can be

> secured somehow (or ring up/contact Jason Scott to help his efforts).

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando