[game_preservation] GDC Report Coming Soon + FileFront shutting down

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Sun Mar 29 14:41:09 EDT 2009

I've got some notes to write up from GDC for the SIG, as well as a
report I'll write on the status of the "State of preservation". This
will be done next week, I'm still not back home yet :)

Feel free, anyone who wasn't able to attend GDC or who has and wants to
comment, to bring up items to talk about here - I'll try and summarise
my notes, but questions on "Did you discuss XXX" or "Can I suggest
project YYY" or "Can I help since I joined the SIG from seeing your
leaflet" or even just "Hi I'm new" are all welcome.

The main thing I want to bring to people's attention just now is there
is some behind the scenes effort by Simon Carless, Jason Scott and
including a few others to try and somehow get the 48 Terabytes of files
off FileFront - check this page for the sad news that it is closing
tomorrow! http://farewell.filefront.com/

Hopefully someone will be able to get the files in some form so they can
be uploaded to the Internet Archive. If anyone has a contact at
FileFront it would be worth ringing them now and seeing perhaps if the
files can be secured somehow (or ring up/contact Jason Scott to help his
efforts).