[game_preservation] Monthly update coming...soon

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Wed May 6 16:50:49 EDT 2009

Ouch, that hurt, Devin! I just completed an article for IEEE Annals in
the History of Computing on the relationship between Spacewar! and
Pong. Actually, there isn't much out there on Spacewar! A helpful
piece in Edge recently was the piece by Leonard Herman (though, look
hard for the attibution) on Ted Dabney.

Henry

Devin Monnens wrote:

> Edge has a Making of Spacewar article? Is that original or is it just

> a republication of the one in Supercade? That article has been around

> in various forms for awhile, and of course there's the old Stone

> article. I can't imagine there would be anything new to say about

> Spacewar in a gaming mag that hasn't been said already... That said, I

> still think there's more to say about Spacewar, but it ultimately

> involves more research (hence my interest in game software on

> mainframe computers :)

> -Devin

> On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Andrew Armstrong

> <andrew at aarmstrong.org <mailto:andrew at aarmstrong.org>> wrote:

> Yeah, some of those articles and others - such as Edge's "Making

> of...Spacewar!" need to get added to the magical database I'm

> creating, heh (well, that I'm still designing). I don't want to

> post much more in the way of "articles on old games" on the blog

> as I proposed before, unless someone is able to help find them :)

> Actually, it is worth discussing the games/articles on the mailing

> list though. I should post up some of the more interesting ones.

> Andrew

> Devin Monnens wrote:

>> Well, it's end of the semester here, so things are kind of crazy.

>> I did notice though there was an article on Rogue on Gamasutra:

>> http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4013/the_history_of_rogue_have__you_.php

>> -Devin

>> On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 2:39 AM, Andrew Armstrong

>> <andrew at aarmstrong.org <mailto:andrew at aarmstrong.org>> wrote:

>> The IGDA wiki is down, thus I've not been able to do the

>> monthly roundup. Sorry about this!

>> Remember though, there's plenty to discuss with the projects.

>> We're kind of understaffed, it appears, since most don't have

>> any active interest right now, or in fact any disinterest

>> even. It seems I'll have to go out and find new members for

>> some of them or start them myself.

>> Andrew

>> --

>> Devin Monnens

>> www.deserthat.com <http://www.deserthat.com>

>> The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

> www.deserthat.com <http://www.deserthat.com>

Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;
Film & Media Collections
HRG, Green Library
557 Escondido Mall, Stanford University Libraries
Stanford CA 94305-6004 USA
http://www.stanford.edu/~lowood
lowood at stanford.edu; 650-723-4602