[game_preservation] Today I Die is out!

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Wed May 6 22:52:39 EDT 2009

Today I Die is a game presentation of a poem. The format of how the game
progresses resembles puzzle games, but I don't think the focus is so much on
how to 'win' the game as it is how you react to it. The final state of the
game (four lines of text and a background) is merely one part of the poem,
much as different scenes are to a film. One result of the puzzle-like form
of the game I feel is that you can have a more intimate analysis of each
part of the poem, almost as if the format makes it easier to contemplate
what each word means and how it affects the text.

If the game has a multiple-ending format like I Wish I Were the Moon or I
Fell in Love with the Majesty of Colors, a result of this seems to be that
it makes it easier to think about how to find all the endings as a goal in
itself. Though of course finding each ending can give you a sense of
surprise and discovery at the unexpected outcome. Achieving the goal and
figuring out how to solve the problem is something that games are pretty
good at, but as a result that's often how we first begin to approach a game.
(Interestingly, if your computer runs very slow, Majesty of Colors gives you
a completely different experience than if it runs at full speed!).

Ultimately though, there's no 'right' way to respond to the game, just as
there's really no 'right' way to play a game, read a book, or look at a
painting (as much as 'connoisseurship' might suggest). As a result, maybe
it's more about what you're looking for or looking to get out of the work
than what the author or critic 'wants' you to get.

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 8:28 PM, Stuart Feldhamer <stuart.feldhamer at gmail.com