[game_preservation] XBLA, Wiiware, and maybe the future of releasing all games + intro

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Tue May 26 09:56:13 EDT 2009

Wow Steve! That's quite a response!

I hadn't read the article by Kotaku actually. I'm guessing this was supposed
to be common knowledge? (this is the kind of thing I was talking about for
resources...maybe we need a 'game preservation 101' reading list) I don't
remember there being a LoC entry on our list... (or at least the VA branch).
2000 titles in storage going back to the beginning is an interesting figure
as well - that's the number of titles officially registered under copyright!

What this article states is that it was a two year project - which means
they should be publishing the results within a year. It would be fantastic
to get them on board for the Best Practices, or at least get some one-on-one
interviews. Please tell me someone from LoC is on the list...

Regarding an international group, this would have been something mentioned
before I joined. This was ultimately a goal that I had in mind as well, but
I don't think a truly international repository could be established simply
because of copyright laws in different countries. Though different national
groups could certainly integrate their catalogues for researchers. I think
the IGDA could have a good chance of getting through the door as a start of
that depository - especially if we establish that oral history project (you
know, maybe I should try and lay some groundwork for the local project in
Colorado...). However, I don't know if the IGDA is something that wants to
be that involved with the industry. In an ideal world, you'd have a place
where games would be registered and a copy sent for preservation and IP,
etc. could be tracked through that central location.

-Devin Monnens