[game_preservation] XBLA, Wiiware, and maybe the future of releasing all games + intro

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Tue May 26 10:55:33 EDT 2009

The IGDA could organise efforts, but any front of physical work is a bit
too much to do (so other places would have to do the actual "here's a
physical copy for preservation we want you to have" part). We're no
where near the size or have the funding that other similar organisations
have. I'm all for trying to organise such a feat - but I would rather
think the current projects which have had no work done on them need
sorting first. I only have so many hands. In any case, since we are the
IGDA group for this, if we want to do this, we could. I'm not saying all
the members or associated companies would/could be able to help, but
it'd be a start.

DMCA copyright exemptions, AFAIK, have not been renewed for videogame
stuff. They're pretty rubbish parts of the law anyway, from what I've
read, anyway - the entire DMCA law needs to change rather then allowing
3 year exemptions that might not be renewed (thus, no further work can
be done in that area...). I don't live in America though, so write to
your congressperson! :)

I also don't know what people do "regardless" of this exemption stuff.
In Europe, for instance, with no DMCA-like law, yet, there is nothing
stopping the reverse engineering or breaking of DRM so that copies can
be made for preservation, libraries, etc - at least, I think this is the
case.

Andrew

PS: It's never "gaming industry" - that's gambling - "games industry"
"videogame industry" etc are better ;)