[game_preservation] [Monthly SIG Roundup] November 2009

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Fri Nov 13 13:25:31 EST 2009

The archive collection could cover this if anyone wanted to help add to
it. I however do not know of any real organised repository - filefront,
fileshack covers some games. Some blogs have smaller ones uploaded. Most
however just link to where they are downloaded from. I've listed a few
of the repositories on the wiki resources page.

Mods are another area - although slightly better covered by Moddb and
fansites, some I've tried to find downloads for and only luckily found
the 43rd mirror linked to randomly to some site which might or might not
have the file later :)

I also have in mind to get some kind of distributed mirrored cross-site
University/museum hosted file space - which Dan Pinchbeck was interested
in too - which would certainly aim at hosting files like these (more so
because they are legally allowed to be on such servers). This is a bit
of a way down the line though :)

I was thinking, with games, mods and also the additional digital media,
if we did get some good hard drive space (backed up, hopefully, and
mirrored across multiple sites) it'd be worth trying to do this a lot
more if some enthusiast collectors or fans could help. Most have a lot
of downloaded material which isn't available online, and is historically
important. Would take some organising though :)

Andrew