[game_preservation] Old MP3s

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Sun Nov 22 17:50:08 EST 2009

That'd be the main time I'd see it as useful - this applies much more to
older files in games I guess, where original distributions were low PCM
WAV's (eg; soundtrack files on game CD's for playing on your PC), or
were in games, but as different types of sound files (very low quality
usually) where a re-release might re-record or at least upgrade the
music and sounds.

Main thing that came to mind for me was "War Has Never Been So Much Fun"
from Cannon Fodder, since it was a spoken track, and the game releases
tended to be low quality, it being from 1993 (the music video however
being slightly higher quality, and I am sure CD versions exist now). The
lower quality versions though might be what people would recognise more
easily, even if you can create the extra-low-quality version it might
not be exactly the same (and even if you can, it doesn't mean you will
or it would be easy for someone else to!).

Anyway, MP3's are tiny, well worth hanging onto I guess. If applied to
other media (video content for instance) it might get harder to justify
saving ever low quality Youtube version of something if a higher quality
version was available (or if the videos used in a game were additionally
released later, or multiple versions came out some with higher quality
versions on them...etc.), just because it is where most people saw it
initially.

I guess it depends? :)

Andrew