[game_preservation] Armin Gessert, Giana Sisters creator, passed away

Stuart Feldhamer stuart.feldhamer at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 15:40:26 EST 2009

Maybe it was a regional thing then?

Stuart

-----Original Message-----
From: game_preservation-bounces at igda.org
[mailto:game_preservation-bounces at igda.org] On Behalf Of Mark Guttenbrunner
Sent: Friday, November 27, 2009 2:47 PM
To: IGDA Game Preservation SIG
Subject: Re: [game_preservation] Armin Gessert, Giana Sisters creator,
passed away

Disagree ...

As someone who had a C64 at that time I can confirm that it was an
instant classic ... it took me decades to find out it is "similar" to
super mario bros. ... might have been an instant classic in the german
speaking countries of europe only as the team behind it was german and
probably everyone in that area with a C64 didn't own one original game
... so it was rather irrelevant that the game was pulled from the
shelves ...

Mark

Stuart Feldhamer schrieb:

> Sorry for the late reply, but I would question the assertion that the

> Great Giana Sisters “became an instant classic”. I had a C64 back in

> the day and I never even heard of that game until a couple of years

> ago. I think it’s more of one of those things that became a cult

> classic over time, more for the plagiarism than for anything else.

> Does anyone else agree/disagree?

> Stuart

http://www.develop-online.net/news/33226/Industry-veteran-Gessert-dies-after
-fatal-heart-attack

> - Develop, who first published the news in English

http://www.gamecareerguide.com/industry_news/26008/giana_sisters_cocreator_a
rmin_.php

> - Gamasutra article mirror

> http://www.remix64.com/armin_gessert_deceased.html - Remix 64

> http://www.mcvuk.com/news/36443/Veteran-dev-Armin-Gessert-dies - MCV

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,699174/Armin-Gessert-Spellbound-Schoepfer-
der-Great-Giana-Sisters-verstorben/Spiele/News/