[game_preservation] Armin Gessert, Giana Sisters creator, passed away

ommail at cox.net ommail at cox.net
Fri Nov 27 18:22:13 EST 2009

I was very heavily into the C=64 system and especially it's games. From 1982 through 1990 it was my primary computer. I collected well over 1000 games for this system (some purchased, some not), ran a 300bps BBS from it, and was an active member on Q-Link (later to become AOL). With my experience, I was shocked that I had never heard of this game--trust me...I played a *LOT* of games on the ol' 64. If it was even remotely popular at the time of release, odds are very strong that I would've had it--and played it.

I would agree with Stuart that it would be considered a 'regional classic'. What region? I don't know, but Mr. Guttenbrunner sheds light on this below. While we all are familliar with popular Rainbow Arts games such as Turrican, R-Type, Berlin 1948 (the audio cassette one), The company was also a distrbutor to smaller, independent developers, giving opportunities to the innovative programmers with a great idea. In theory, this may have led to some titles being very popular among local areas, while not enjoying a broader, worldwide appeal.

I would also agree (from reading the information provided) that it would be considered a 'cult classic' as well, being that it's instant pull from retail shelves means that it was mostly accessed by illegal copies, and the desirability of the game from a collector's standpoint.

Just my 2cents--

Joe