[game_preservation] More Retro Machinima (with Andrew raving about glossaries, oh yay)

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Thu Oct 1 05:22:52 EDT 2009

Oh, hold my own horses, my mini-glossary I did write a mini machinima
definition for myself, I wonder if this fits. Again, I wanted to find
examples (there should be a lot more blue links or references!) but not
too bad re-reading it now for 2 paragraphs despite being a bit "meh" on
the descriptive side of content. Note while I want to get
pronounciations, alternative spellings etc. I've obviously not done it
to any standard here ;)

Just an example as it were.

Machinima

/Pronounced:/ "Ma-shin-e-ma"

From the words "Machine", "Animation" and "Cinema", it is the
description of a range of videos made from filming videogames. These
sometimes are specially made for a game to explain some story (released
separately from the game, so thus not a cutscene), or be a fully
released online video of a games content and playthrough (such as
Anachronox
<http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22Anachronox%22%20AND%20collection%3Aanimationandcartoons>).

Most commonly they are fictional films, based sometimes on the original
characters but often new ones, with their own plot and filming unrelated
to the normal game. There are also music videos, films, and series of
works rather then one off's, or series based on the original characters.
Usually the "cast" is played by player avatars in the multiplayer mode
of the game.