[game_preservation] MIT Research

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 17:32:38 EDT 2009

Henry,
I am focusing primarily on games prior to 1972. Simply put, while Spacewar
was INCREDIBLY popular, there is surprisingly little documentation of other
games you might otherwise expect to be developed based on Spacewar's design
- aside from, of course, Spacewar mods. My primary focus of research is why
this at least appears to be the case (lack of documentation? Or students
just didn't make them?). The focus is primarily this period from 1962-1972,
but it really goes up to about 1976 with the release of Colossal Cave
Adventure (say, the first 15 years of the computer game; I initially picked
1972 to coincide with the launch of the Odyssey and Pong).

I hadn't considered Eliza and SHRDLU, but was looking primarily at games. I
am interested in tracking the different memes that developed the videogame
industry. There seems to be a direct correlation between what people played
and what they developed later on (whether it was for computer systems or
console systems).

BASIC I haven't really looked at. I wasn't aware of any BASIC games
developed in this time period, but I know that many were made for the
platform. It isn't so much important that a BASIC game could run on older
hardware but whether it was developed before 1972 (or 1976 if I go up to
CCA).

PLATO is another interesting meme, but most of their games are developed
after 1972, so I have to wonder what their influences were (is there a book
or paper about PLATO?). PARC was incredibly influential (just now surprised
to see they developed the emoticon, too!) and so this is one strong
influence thread on computer games (as opposed to console and arcade).

Another area that tends to get dismissed in game history is Chess AI
(despite the fact that they are videogames in every sense of the word!).
Eliza and SHRDLU certainly had strong influences on language parsers. I'm a
little surprised they don't seem to be in use for modern CRPGs and that we
still use text menus...

-Devin