[game_preservation] Ian Bogost on the 'thingness' of games

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Sun Sep 6 11:59:44 EDT 2009

I mean to post up a report on the IGDA Preservation SIG wiki on our
presentation at DiGRA actually. For those interested, I made lots of
notes on the sessions I attended: http://aarmstrong.org/notes/digra-2009

One of the things we discussed between ourselves was, to a point,
exactly this: a multitude of "questions we dare not ask". I am sure all
history and preservation people deal with this too (in fact I should try
and get in contact with some of them to gather consensus from what they
work on! Perhaps Tom Wooley knows more about this since he works in a
multimedia museum). Dan Pinchbeck suggested a meeting between everyone
for a day at one location so things like this could be discussed - he
might try and get some money to cover people's travel, and it'd be
awesome to lay out things like this with some discussion.

As for the question "what to preserve" specifically? It's difficult,
everyone thinks one thing is more important then another. There isn't
unlimited space (although many places are on a "we'll accept anything of
given quality we don't have some copies of already" but think in 10
years or so if that'll be true still). I personally don't know the
answer, although sometimes you can have a historical record of something
without the actual item - the record of things with photographs, scans
and metadata might prove useful for space saving. Volunteer time is
another big one too - even with the items, it is a choice between what
to restore, present, research and archive depends on the time you have.
Some guidelines would be good - beyond the simple "if it is rare/one
off, it is usually worth preserving", since I'd hope this is mainly
obvious (depending on the item).

Tetris might be a nice one to do actually for the "multiplicity of
objects" mainly because DiGRA had a presentation by a (I think non-games
researcher) on basically "What is Tetris?":

http://aarmstrong.org/notes/digra-2009/evolution-of-the-tetromino-stacking-game-an-historical-design-study-of-tertris

It's interesting because it was an early game, it had direct and
indirect influences, it has a strange story on the "IP" angle and other
things too. I got permission to put his paper online so I'll get it on
the IGDA site at least. Doom is a good choice too, certainly in some
ways more "limited" - it influenced other things, but no real direct
copycats and since it wasn't released as long ago there is,
statistically, less there. The ET example in Ian's keynote again is
another one - certainly "easier" to determine "what" it is, except that
"what" changes constantly even for such a one off game.

Also, Ian's keynote went basically *woosh* for most of it, being very
hard to follow for me personally (them start and middle mainly was the
problem - the last bit makes sense). It being down on a page is a lot
easier to follow :)

I'm also infused with energy to get the bibliography work to a point I
can get a prototype up and running, since the researchers themselves
admitted they find it hard to find research material - usually, it
appears by most accounts, it is "find a similar paper, and look at the
references, then look at those references", and so forth. Not that the
project is just for research papers of course, but as a mass of content
in themselves, they're mainly top of the pile.

Andrew