[game_preservation] Ian Bogost on the 'thingness' of games

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 13:28:42 EDT 2009

Actually, while we're on the topic, I assume we've got a detailed report on
Videogame Nation in Manchester? The exhibit is closing on the 14th of
September. I just read an article on it in Retro Gamer, and was surprised to
see that many objects in the exhibit had been donated by developers
(including original artwork from Broken Sword donated by Charles Cecil of
Revolution Studios). This was exactly the kind of thing we were talking
about in the White Paper, and I wanted to know if anyone had done a case
study on this to see how the developers were contacted for donations and
what level of value these objects had to the developers themselves and the
reasons why they decided to donate. This could be coupled with analysis of
the Get Lamp project as well as the Wing Commander documentaiton project.
Along the lines of what to preserve, maybe there's two parts - one being
defining what all aspects of a game could be preserved or documented, and
the other being which area does the archive want to focus on. You can't
preserve everything because eventually you have to find a place to focus on.
You can either do a poor job at trying to save lots of things or you can do
a good job specializing in one area. That's my idea at least. Who knows with
digital, but I can certainly see it from the research and analysis side of
things (not all archives are going to have a detailed collection of curated
text adventure game materials).