[game_preservation] Ian Bogost on the 'thingness' of games

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Sun Sep 6 14:01:43 EDT 2009

I know the person who curated the museum - I can contact him about this
if you like. I wrote up a report (it's linked to from our preservation
blog) and yes, along with documenting the archives and projects,
documenting the exhibitions is something to do :) Might be a good start,
kind of have a "form" to fill in about it.

As for how he got the stuff - a lot of direct contact AFAIK, which is
pretty much how you'd do it anyway I'd hazard a guess. As you might
note, the exhibit didn't have much in the way of "big publisher" things
donated (sadly!), but a lot of temporary donations by developers.
Without any real permanent videogame exhibits in museums (or a videogame
museum as it were), there is little way for companies or developers to
go to the people running it to ask if they want to run a special exhibit
or whatever :)

Andrew