[game_preservation] DOOM manifest for PVW project

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Tue Sep 8 12:45:09 EDT 2009

Devin,

It's not a comprehensive DOOM collection. The idea is to provide
context information that will be helpful for installing the software,
verifying the installation, and playing/using the game. In the case of
DOOM, we reach the point where the software is as much a technology
platform (for mods, map-building, demos, speedruns, even some machinima)
as a stand-alone game (see Lev Manovich on this).

Thus, the few included replays, demos, machinima, mods, etc. represent a
sampling, only a tiny one in the case of maps, mods and demos. But I did
want to include a little bit of everything, as far as how the game was used.

I'm all ears, but I don't really see how live performance would function
as context in this sense. We have separate gameplay video and
performance collections at the Internet Archive that could serve as
collection points for those. (By the way, your link led to a Mortal
Kombat performance.)

The music from Romero's website is, as I understand it, not the same as
the released music. So, two responses here: (1) How would these midi
files provide context for the game software? Maybe as background on the
development process? (2) We are also archiving websites separately as
part of an archive-it project (Internet Archive), and we have include
John Romero's site, so the page is archived there. I'm on the fence
here. Further thoughts?

As for the soundtrack CD, I suppose it might function as a check for the
game audio. Actually, audio is probably the trickiest aspect of
emulation. That seems to be what the testing (which RPI is doing)
shows. A problem here is that CD you refer to does not seem to be
licensed by id Software; how would we get permission to archive it?
Another problem is that this does not appear to be a complete
soundtrack, only selected maps. Or is it? Do you know of a collection
of all the music? Something like this arrangement
http://www.sirgalahad.org/paul/doom/
Except that we would want to be able to verify the source as being the
game itself. With MIDI, of course, it's a little tricky.
So maybe this one?
http://www.doomworld.com/classicdoom/info/music.php (which is archived:
http://web.archive.org/web/20071014012004/http://www.doomworld.com/classicdoom/info/music.php)
I verified that the music files are included.
So I think I am going to add the doomworld music collection to the next
version of the manifest.

It's not a research project on DOOM, so we will not create a
bibliography, but if there is one readily available on-line, yes, we
could include that. I have not seen anything that is particularly
detailed; for example, there are as many as a dozen books on DOOM maps,
modding, hacking, etc., which would be very useful for setting up the
game in the future, but these are not generally included in
bibliographies. If you can point to something on-line, we could include it.

Henry

Devin Monnens wrote:

> Nice overview, Henry. So you will have a large collection of mods?

> What about the Marine DOOM mod? For others...

> Is the video collection including Grooveraider's DOOM debut video?

> Doom performance by actors of Mo...

> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYB7-ZgGrfU&feature=channel_page>

> Also, I picked up a zip containing midis from DOOM. I assume you knew

> about these? (Maybe I heard it on this list

> first...) This is from John Romero's website:

> http://rome.ro/2007/06/doom-archaeology.html

> Interesting enough, I also have a collection of Warcraft II midis, but

> I think you can get these off the game disc.

> Also, there was the soundtrack CD:

> http://vgmdb.net/album/2950

> Lastly, a nice bibliography of materials talking about DOOM could be

> added (such as Dungeons and Dreamers and Masters of DOOM). You also

> can't wrench DOOM from its context of violent games.

> The biggest question is I'm not sure based on the documentation what

> the scope of the DOOM collection is or why these particular elements

> were chosen (and why some elements were not included). There will be a

> writeup on this?

> -Devin

> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 12:46 AM, Henry Lowood <lowood at stanford.edu

> <mailto:lowood at stanford.edu>> wrote:

> Attached please find the first draft of the DOOM manifest for

> Preserving Virtual Worlds. This is a manifest for the files that

> will be in the Bag-it "bag." (some will be fetched from Internet

> Archive copies)

> The content section is pretty much done. I welcome

> comments/suggestions esp. about the contextual materials.

> Henry

> --

> Henry Lowood

> Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;

> Film & Media Collections

> HRG, Green Library

> 557 Escondido Mall, Stanford University Libraries

> Stanford CA 94305-6004 USA

> http://www.stanford.edu/~lowood <http://www.stanford.edu/%7Elowood>

> lowood at stanford.edu <mailto:lowood at stanford.edu>; 650-723-4602

> www.deserthat.com <http://www.deserthat.com>