[game_preservation] DOOM manifest for PVW project

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Thu Sep 17 13:33:24 EDT 2009

Yeah, I was joking about the wiki, it's your document, hehe - you said
you have a wiki ;) perfect application unless you've got a good
relational database for processing entries like that :)

I've got no documents myself on doom level editing - I dabbled a little
in it but that was, wow, years ago now, sorry. I'll leave it to someone
else to know of a good one, I am sure someone else on this list would
have a clue. I wonder if any of the DOOM books are related to level
editing directly. There I know there is a few on just DOOM itself - I
still need to read Masters of Doom, going to borrow it off a friend
sometime (who ranted it was a great book himself, popular one that :) hehe).

A few things if you want more comments - for the web links, perhaps
there should be secondary links to Archive-It copies of the resources
linked to directly (unless the implication is you have local copies
downloaded of them) - most of them are Archive-It or Wayback but a few
are just direct links at least (classic doom links, some mobygames,
planetdoom...). It seems more a mistake not having them - thus I guess
it's a standard practice to get an Archive-It copy to add it to a manifest?

Another thing is dates. Is it worth in a manifest listing the dates
items were either created or posted, or when they were looked at on the
internet? Most do have wayback implicit dates mind you, and in a list
that might not be appropriate I guess :)

Finally - I just wondered, probably slightly related, but I guess there
is no cause for concern having items like the DOOM manual basically in a
manifest - ie; I presume a user-scanned copy of it (or maybe off the CD
versions?). For other games, links to unofficial translations for ROM
files, or emulation programs necessary to run something, etc. always
might need to be added, no problems there I hope - I've no idea what the
range of things the manifest should have in it is of course, or what
reasons there might be to not add anything (apart from the obvious "you
can't fit everything in, and not everything is of the same importance").

I also did thoroughly re-read it just now - you've got an error for
"MobyGames entry for Ultimate DOOM" copies the link from the above entry.

Andrew

>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=941B3470-3AE9-4AEE-8F43-C6BB74CD1466&displaylang=en

>>> http://www.bing.com/search?q=pet+allergy&form=MHEINA&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TXT_MHEINA_Health_Health_PetAllergy_1x1

>>> www.deserthat.com <http://www.deserthat.com>