[game_preservation] Arty Games

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 10:44:50 EDT 2009

An interesting thought: William Gibson once wrote a digital novel that would
decay each time you opened it. Unfortunately for him, people found a way
around it. I don't know if there's a way around this (say, loading it from a
flash drive).
Digital files do have value. For some, there may be only one copy in
existence (say a document you created). If you are afraid of losing your
files, there might be two reasons. 1. You haven't backed them up yet. 2. It
is a pain to reload your software. I have a combination of these two...

>>> http://www.stfj.net/art/2009/loselose/ - although as a technophile I'd

>>> http://armorgames.com/play/4309/this-is-the-only-level - which I'm sure

>>> you've seen, same kind of parody (or in fact, here, a little more of a

>>> design lesson) as Achievement Unlocked.

>>> Anyone got any recent arty-like games (not just assuming anything by

>>> calling them this, but I hope you know what I mean). I've got a few in my

>>> backlog to play (Dear Esther and Korsakovia, Gravity Bone), once I feel like

>>> playing them, but I'm always looking for more.

>>> As for how this relates to game history - well, frankly the quality

>>> varies but they're interesting, and usually free, which is great, especially

>>> since they can teach a mechanic or develop or parody it so well. :) Good for

>>> teaching, for sure.

>>> Andrew