[game_preservation] Generations standards?

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 23:21:56 EDT 2010

Yeah, I think a historiography of how the words have been used historically
is going to be a good place to start. Where does 'generation' come in and
why. How is it used over time? Same with bits and eras. This allows us to
establish the need for new, more useful vocabulary. I find I don't like
'generations' but 'periods' or 'eras' might suit it better. I think after we
get out of the 32/64-bit era, maybe media format becomes a defining factor
(DVD and HD). This really seems the easiest way to me of reconciling. That
is, until Martin tells me a better way :)

> Is this something people on this list want to happen in the SIG? We've not

> really been active doing much apart from the Memorials this year, and while

> we can write another white paper I guess, this would be something everyone

> can contribute easily if only by looking over the info and fact checking. No

> doubt the archives and museums on here could provide a lot from their own

> archives too if they had time to corroborate facts or provide evidence,

> especially if it is in a non-English speaking location (since I can't

> exactly read anything else, makes it hard to even search the web in other

> languages for info, and Martin is right a world perspective is needed and a

> lot of it was world based).

Yeah, I talk about this in the paper. I should upload that to the site for
peer review (there, my excuse). I am going to be egotistic and say that
English should be the primary language of preservationists, but try getting
say the Soviet Computer Museum to adopt that. I'm very curious as to what
games were made in other countries - the only thing I have good
documentation on is the US, and this is mostly through the DECUS catalogues
and the like. For instance, what was early computer development like in
Japan, Russia, and Germany? What kinds of games were over there? What was
being done in BASIC in the early 70s?

BTW, I avoid Russell De Maria's High Score now like the plague after finding
a bunch of errors on one page. I can't trust anything in there. Sad thing
is, a lot of it is referenced in Wikipedia!