[game_preservation] U.S. Crash was Re: Generations standards?

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 00:09:27 EDT 2010

> There is but it's on the talk/discussion page. There's usually a tag

> at the top that states it's current status (importance ranking,

> whether it's GA, FA, or former GA or FA).

Ah. I would like to see it on the main page. Students aren't smart enough to
know about the discussion page!

No. If you want I can go request it for deletion on grounds of lack

> of notability Or you can. ;)

Well, the trouble is, I like knowing about the game! So I personally
wouldn't request it. That and it's a fascinating example of how wikipedia
works as well as current ideas of game notability (i.e. because it predates
Pong, it is important).

> Take a look at the edit history, it's a mishmash of a good 6 years

> worth of editors.

Well, that and game history is a pac-rat nest :)

> No idea yet. It's a 2 volume set, and there's just so much more

> information being covered on a daily basis. Currently working on the

> whole transition buyout period yet, and the very very early days -

> specifically right now on the arcades Atari had opened in California

> from '73-'76 (that appear to have them morphed in to Chuck E. Cheese).

> Book might not be a bad idea. Wiki we'd be more for if you want

> additional input on it, vs. just a general living document that you're

> going to continue to update on your own.

Yeah, this is why I might consider it more a living document. There are more
things I would find, and I don't think I could get it 100% set in stone.
Anyway, still need to follow up on them - they sent it on Wednesday night,
and I work all day Thursday and Friday (then use Saturday afternoon as
unpacking!).

> As far as the format for our three books, we decided from the

> beginning to make it more entertaining rather than just a dry read of

> facts and figures. I.E. to balance it. So they're going to read more

> like a style cross between "Dealers of Lightning" and Cringley's

> Accidental Empires.

Yes, I enjoyed Dealers of Lightning! I would have taken it to Japan, but it
weighed too much. I ran into this trouble with my game history presentation.
It's even harder to talk about the games because they are text-based, which
doesn't give you much interesting to look at! So I think walking people
through a text-based game and showing the signficiance and importance of it
might be a good approach for the writing.