[game_preservation] U.S. Crash was Re: Generations standards?

Martin Goldberg wgungfu at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 00:59:18 EDT 2010

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 11:09 PM, Devin Monnens <dmonnens at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, I enjoyed Dealers of Lightning! I would have taken it to Japan, but it

> weighed too much. I ran into this trouble with my game history presentation.

> It's even harder to talk about the games because they are text-based, which

> doesn't give you much interesting to look at! So I think walking people

> through a text-based game and showing the signficiance and importance of it

> might be a good approach for the writing.

Yes, that's more in line with Bill's book if you haven't read it yet:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0240811461?tag=armcharcad-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=0240811461&adid=1T2DYGSZ2F6DGFY753P1&

They cover a specific game or genre, and cover the evolution towards
it and it's influence on everything that came after it. In your case,
I'd find it interesting to feel like a part of the era and understand
how these games evolved (both as a reflection of the hardware they ran
on, and the coder's own experiences). Likewise how they lead to other
games, etc.

Marty