[game_preservation] U.S. Crash was Re: Generations standards?

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 19 13:08:00 EDT 2010

Devin,

Wikipedia is an encyclopedia, and even in the print days, that was never
a place to publish original research or a monograph. Publishing a
monograph on the subject is a different beast altogether. As a
publisher, McFarland is ok, but just ok. It does specialize in popular
culture, which is good. If you are looking at writing an academic
monograph in this area, try shooting a proposal to MIT Press or U.
Minnesota Press. At least give it a shot. Those are top-shelf
publishers in historical new media studies. You can alway supplement a
book with something on-line, but get the book out!

Henry

Devin Monnens wrote:

> Yeah, Wikipedia is kind of funny. Lots of people go there as a first

> stop for information (heck I use it a lot, too). But I think there

> needs to be a big ol' graphic at the top of the page next to the

> article title to let people know the quality of the article. This way,

> users can easily judge what the quality of the content is.

> I also find it very amusing what Wikipedia users generate articles on.

> There's an article for a 1970 or 1971 (can't remember) BASIC game

> called HIghnoon. The game's kind of fun and really interesting if you

> look at the text of it too closely, but to put it in perspective: I

> think the only reason this game has its own article is because it was

> made before Pong, and apparently, that immediately makes any game

> worthy of a wiki article. Regardless of the fact it was ONLY played on

> one school network for a short period of time and then filed in this

> dude's closet for 40 years until it was rediscovered. Don't get me

> wrong, I think it's great and a good example of the kind of work that

> was being done, and I'm glad I learned about it, but does it really

> need a full article on Wikipedia?

> And while we're on the subject, the history of games information is in

> no way organized. You've got the game history section, you've got the

> early game history section, and you have a list of games by year. Some

> info is in one but not the others (Highnoon was in the year list). So

> in terms of people actually going out and finding information, it's

> not all in one place.

> Incidentally, where are you getting your Atari books published? I just

> got a book offer from another publisher at a conference I went to

> (McFarland, actually) about my work in games from 1962-1973. I'm kind

> of torn about how to go about publishing/disseminating this

> information. I don't think Wikipedia is the right place, but I think a

> living document like a Wiki would be great for it.

> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Andrew Armstrong

> <andrew at aarmstrong.org <mailto:andrew at aarmstrong.org>> wrote:

> Cool, missed your direct comment that you were investigating the

> time period :) Like I said I'd love to help, but lack some of the

> direct information - and being in the UK don't have any real way

> of getting it really. Shame there is no decent book coverage of it.

> If there was some way of sharing the research easily (if they are

> digital files the IGDA wiki would do) it might be a nice idea to

> start compiling the relevant information in whatever depth that

> might be appropriate. I'd be an avid reader of anything and help

> and could certainly email people at least, but like I say, limited

> in resources access otherwise, although I could look into UK

> things (in this case, probably the least relevant thing apart from

> "What was happening elsewhere" sections, heh), and if nothing else

> I am an organiser.

> I also realise wikipedia isn't meant to be a paper on the subject

> [...]

Henry Lowood, Ph.D.
Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;
Film & Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries
Stanford CA 94305-6004