[game_preservation] Fwd: [SCMSL] Good News on the Fair Use Front

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 4 12:24:34 EDT 2010

All,

This from the SCMS list. The exemption mentioned there is something I
have read exactly nothing about -- not sure how I missed it. Does
anybody know anything about this? Granted, it is a fair use exemption
(at least as stated in the snip, I need to check the links), but it does
circle back to the exemption for over-riding copy protection that was in
force for obsolete hardware platforms for a while. Also, I assume this
is a "timed" exemption in the (awful) scheme set up by DMCA.

Henry

Dear SCMS Member:

As many of you have no doubt already heard, there is reason for SCMS
members to celebrate. As part of its triennial rulemaking, the Library
of Congress has announced new and expanded exemptions to the Digital
Millennium Copyright Act. Peter Decherney, who won an earlier exemption
in 2006, led the lobbying effort. In the 2009 rulemaking, Peter was
joined by SCMS and a broad coalition of library and educational
organizations.

One new exemption allows college and university "professors" in any
field to bypass the copy protection on DVDs for educational purposes.
The exemption also applies to film and media studies students,
documentary filmmakers, and anyone making noncommercial videos.
Together, these categories cover a wide range of activities vital to the
work of SCMS members. The exemption only applies when short portions of
DVDs are copied for the purposes of comment or criticism. The below
links provide some more information, including a tutorial on how to go
about making clips from DVDs.

*LINKS***

The Library of Congress's Final Ruling and Supporting Documents
<http://www.copyright.gov/1201/>

SCMS Statements on Fair Use Best Practices for Teaching and Research
<http://www.cmstudies.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8&Itemid=1>

DMCA Exemptions FAQ <http://www.asc.upenn.edu/DMCA/> (to be updated soon)

MacWorld Magazine's Video Demonstration of How to Rip A DVD
<http://www.macworld.com/article/144765/2010/01/rip_dvds.html>

http://chaucer.umuc.edu/blogcip/collectanea/2010/07/worth_the_wait_-_installment_1.html

SCMS Office Staff

Jane and Debbie