[game_preservation] 1Up's article on game mechanics

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 11:44:55 EST 2010

Well, looks like SOMEBODY found out about the history of The Sumerian Game
from what I was researching! Guess I should write up a short article before
somebody else gets confused! However, most people are familiar with Ahl's
port because that was the most widely-distributed version.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3182752

The interesting thing about citing games like this is very few of them you
can say have physical ties to the games they discuss. I think The Sumerian
Game is one because Hamurabi was cited as an inspiration to Civilization.
The others? They were big in the lab, but didn't get played by many people
outside of that and so did not have a chance to inspire future designers.
The big games mentioned as being 'beaten by' such-and-such were on the other
hand mostly far more influential because they were played by more people -
specifically by more designers. So in this reading, it doesn't matter how
many people played the game so long as it was played by people who were
making more games so they could draw inspiration from it :)

-Devin