[game_preservation] Original Mario and Zelda design documents

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 20:59:24 EST 2010

Nintendo's Toshihiko Nakago, in a recent interview with Satoru Iwata
regarding Spirit Tracks, brought in original design documents for Legend of
Zelda and Super Mario Bros.

http://nintendods.com/iwata-asks-chapter.jsp?interviewId=3&volumeId=2&chapterId=5

<http://nintendods.com/iwata-asks-chapter.jsp?interviewId=3&volumeId=2&chapterId=5>Though
the images are low-resolution, Mr. Nakago explains the context in which the
documents were used. This to me underscores the importance of having
developer commentary associated with the documents. Without them, the
materials lack the proper context and we cannot fully understand their use,
history, and purpose.

I am sure this is well-known to any preservationist, but it seems to be
something we sometimes do not emphasize when we simply discuss preserving
artifacts. In some cases, the context and developer commentary may in fact
be just as important than the artifacts themselves.

I also wish to say that these Iwata Asks interviews are very interesting,
particularly when it comes to discussion of the games' histories and the
philosophies behind them.

Unfortunately, materials this old at Nintendo are rare. Mr. Nakago seems to
have stored the documents himself, as I heard most of Nintendo's documents
were lost or destroyed when they moved.