[game_preservation] Cataloging Standards?

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 12:20:44 EST 2010

Thanks, Rachael. That is a really good bit of information. Mobygames has a
nice selection, but my one critique of them is that they do not seem to take
into account reprints or re-releases. This can be important when information
was changed in the reprinting.

For instance, there are several versions of *Maniac Mansion *in the US, one
of which allows you to microwave the hamster. While this isn't as
significant as, say, the *Aliens* extended cut or *Apocalypse Now Redux *in
film (in that it doesn't significantly alter the game's meaning), there is
no means of documenting this. Same goes with original and reprints of games,
though maybe this has more to do with different cover art (afaik, the sku's
are the same).

On a more meaningful side, we can have version numbers of games where bug
fixes alter replay for speedrunning. This is well documented with Metroid
Prime in which some speedrunning glitches are fixed. As a result, players
have to document what version of the game they are using when submitting a
speedrun.

-Devin