[game_preservation] Frank Cifaldi's preservation article on 1Up

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Sat Jan 9 15:28:42 EST 2010

I think (and I don't want to second guess him, he's on this list I
think) but it's the scope and size of the institution, and the rigor of
preserving the materials, and the fact that almost no game company
actively preserves anything they make with a 3rd party, whereas film
places I bet have agreements for providing a copy of their films when
they are released into the archives properly, as well as the archives
having copies of their digital and non-digital film stocks as necessary.

I also think the game archives are a lot smaller, just the way it is
really, and without a large amount of money there's not much that could
change that.

Andrew