[game_preservation] Frank Cifaldi's preservation article on 1Up

Martin Goldberg wgungfu at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 17:05:01 EST 2010

Well, I can say on the Atari related front there's a number of people
making efforts to those route. Matt Reichert is probably the most
well known and active - http://atariprotos.com/. He routinely dumps
and archives protos, unreleased games, and such and is someone I'd
consider an expert in those regards.

There's also my partner Curt Vendel, who has the largest Atari related
archive including mainframe backups, engineering schematics, internal
documentation, protos, source code, artwork, etc. In fact the current
Atari has him on retainer for resources whenever they need it. He
just provided all the cabinet artwork and other related resources for
the Atari games in Microsoft's just announced virtual game room.

That brings to mind another issue with regards to preservation - when
you're talking about older companies and brands, a lot of them simply
don't have the proper archives or their own material either,
regardless of 3rd party.

A related historical example - I remember a recent research spat
getting down the actual US release date of Super Mario Bros. The
current Nintendo (where almost nobody is left form the "old days" had
it listed as 1985 and a US launch title. This contradicted direct
interviews with Minoru Arakawa, Howard Lincoln, and Howard Phillips
were they stated it was not ready for the New York test market launch.
I worked my way through NOA (both through the PR dept. and tech.
support) and nobody could give me an answer for the discrepancy other
than "that's what's listed here in the databse". Apparently they have
a company wide database where they defer to for any historical
information.

Marty