[game_preservation] Silent Films Being Lost

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 09:36:33 EDT 2010

Truly, a sobering find. I think this just goes to underscore that commercial
businesses are throwaway businesses. The only things that will survive for
long periods are those that the public has deemed important enough to watch
again today, or which say film studies community is interested in
discussing. Essentially, if there is a market for it, the film will return.
I don't think Janus is in the business for the good of mankind but to make
bank. You need a government organization to do that.

I'm a bit curious now as to the preservation percentage of books from the
same time period.

Games might have a better shot at at least longevity (not the same as
preservation) due to the underground community - it is much easier to
distribute something that everyone can buy than it is something that is
displayed to the public through private businesses.