[game_preservation] International Video Game Hall of Fame

Stuart Feldhamer stuart.feldhamer at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 09:41:14 EDT 2010

Let me take a contrarian position here for a minute (in Andrew's defense).

While Walter Day certainly has an important role in the "history and lore"
of video games, I can definitely see someone refer to him as a "fanboy".
After all, basically what he did is establish high score records for video
games and promote his records as the official ones. He was very good at
publicity and marketing, which is why he succeeded to the extent that he
did, but basically he promoted himself and his arcade and made them
something more than they were. You said it yourself when you wrote "He's
also been trying to push Ottumwa as the 'Video Game Capital' because of
this." Ottumwa the video game capital?

This whole hall of fame looks like another attempt at self-promotion to me.
You say the list is "a
pretty balanced list of older to modern and from industry and player (the
competitors)", when in fact it is very weighted to the competitors. And you
refer to these competitors as "longstanding legendary competitors, many of
whom are icons themselves and brought as much fame to the games as the games
themselves". I can see saying that about some of these guys, like Billy
Mitchell, Steve Wiebe, and Johnathan "Fatal1ty" Wendel, but some of these
other guys?

Listen, this is only my opinion, but I personally am not very impressed with
this list of initial inductees for an "International Video Game Hall of
Fame". You are of course entitled to your own opinion, and I can tell from
your posts that you know a whole lot about the history of video games, and
probably much more than I do, but I felt compelled to come to Andrew's
defense. The fact that he was born in 1986 does not make him unqualified to
give his opinion.

Stuart