[game_preservation] Sumerian Game and Sierra Leone Game - first educational computer games

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 21:59:27 EDT 2010

Hi folks,

I don't remember if I mentioned this before, but I wanted to ask if anyone
here was familiar with the Sumerian Game and the Sierra Leone Game, the
first educational computer games, designed 1962-1964 (paper published R.L.
Wing, 1966<http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CB8QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fabs.sagepub.com%2Fcgi%2Fcontent%2Fabstract%2F10%2F3%2F31&ei=ezFSTL3rCYuHnQeVnfSZBA&usg=AFQjCNGdmmwlDQPP4eluwNWq1wnXvEnrog&sig2=gXI2tfNXbWnwSHa6T9eaPQ>).
The Sumerian Game predates the FOCAL '68 version. It was programmed by a guy
from IBM and has 14,000 lines of code (according to the article). I thought
someone might be aware of these games or where I might find the source code
to them. I'm thinking MECC should have a copy...

-Devin