[game_preservation] Two books on Gumpei Yokoi [Japanese]

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 14:44:48 EDT 2010

Henry,

To the best of my knowledge, there are very few publications on game
criticism in Japan. This is something all scholars I have talked with who
are in Japan have agreed on. Certainly, there are some major titles like A
Theory of Fun for Game design, but most of the books I have seen tend to be
about history, art, or how to make games. Incidentally, the library at U
Columbia, SC had a dual-language book on Sega game art. This book now sells
for about $80.

-Devin

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 12:30 PM, Henry Lowood <lowood at stanford.edu> wrote:

> There are fairly substantial literatures on games now in German, Italian

> and French. As far as I know, most of the Scandinavian work -- mostly

> research as opposed to trade publication -- is available in English. There

> have also been some interesting Korean titles by players, which I have found

> virtually impossible to get here. Devin knows a lot more than I do about

> the Japanese literature.

> Henry

> On 7/30/2010 11:13 AM, Dyson, Jon-Paul wrote:

>> Henry,

>> We are also ordering them for our library at the International Center for

>> the History of Electronic Games, and we will make them available through

>> Inter-Library Loan as well. (Or if you're in the Rochester, New York area

>> feel free to stop by and use them in person!)

>> Thanks, Devin, for identifying these.

>> That raises another question--what are other good books on the history or

>> culture of video games published in languages other than English?

>> -J.P.

>> Jon-Paul C. Dyson, Ph.D.

>> Director, The International Center for the History of Electronic Games,

>> Book Review Editor, American Journal of Play

>> Vice President for Exhibit Research and Development,

>> Strong National Museum of Play

>> One Manhattan Square

>> Rochester, NY 14607

>> Direct line: 585-410-6341

>> Fax: 585-263-2493

>> Email: jpdyson at museumofplay.org

>> Website: www.museumofplay.org

>> Website: www.icheg.org

>> Website: www.americanjournalofplay.org/

>>> Hi,

>>> Wow, great find!

>>> Does anyone here own these books? I'm looking for info on the

>>> design/development of Nintendo's Virtual Boy (designed by Yokoi) and

>>> I'm wondering if these books have any info on that platform.

>>> thanks,