[game_preservation] Game Database question

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Mon Mar 15 15:10:34 EDT 2010

I'd certainly after looking at some book bibliographic stuff, and other
bits and pieces, echo Henry that there are some standards in some very
similar release areas - so, we're not comparing to films or TV shows
here, but probably more books - which go through revisions (especially
anything non-fiction), editions, localisations, re-releases, reprints,
pirated copies, and share many common attributes. The only one thing I
couldn't think matches is the system a book runs on - unless you go into
hardback, paperback, paper, journal, magazine, digital...then it does
perhaps become similar again.

Fascinating to read your thoughts, pretty much nothing else to add
since, well, no one has said anything that seems bizarre. I think it's
not something easy to pin down as you say, especially if in addition to
the original "published" games there might also be much more hazy open
source variants for instance - things not done by a publisher, like the
many Doom ports (some, funnily enough, reused for other systems like the
iPhone and so forth!). You get into real mazes of what can be broken
down then!

I'm a big fan of grouping things myself. I think stuff belongs in
multiple bags rather then just separated and distinct - Mobygames I
think gets nearer what I like reading (the "Overview" of a game for
multiple platforms), since there are specific sub-entries, and they do
need to be there to note distinct differences, but you tend to see it is
in fact, when it comes down to it, a broadly similar experience
therefore worth noting as such. Hard to find cases where it is vastly
different except the noted handheld versions which are really "in name
only".

After all, it's not like categories are to divide things up because they
are different, it is to group things that are the same. Sounds odd,
reading that sentence back, but makes sense in my head, heh.

Andrew