[game_preservation] Swag archive?

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Mon Mar 15 17:55:28 EDT 2010

Ok, I'll take off my curator hat and put on my collector hat now. I do
have a bunch of show gimmes from the late 1970s forward into the 1990s,
mostly from microcomputer and home computer events, but including a
bunch of game stuff. I probably have a few hundred pins, for example.
However, it never occurred to me to give these to Stanford, and I
probably wouldn't accept them (as curator), even as a donation from me,
unless they were part of a larger collection that provided some
context. For example, we have the Apple Computer t-shirt collection,
but that came from Apple as part of their history collection (and it was
the largest in the world at the time).

Henry

Martin Goldberg wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Devin Monnens <dmonnens at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I was curious if any of the archives out there have a collection of swag

>> from conferences like GDC and E3.

> I do from CES and other shows going back to the early 80's through mid

> 90's (when the industry left CES to do E3). From both the video game

> and computing industry. Pamphlets, brochures, flyers, pins, buttons,

> baloons, mugs, shirts, pens, etc., etc. Though I do have some E3 era

> material as well - I just don't specialize in archiving that, but

> would be happy to start of there's a desire for the SIG for me to.

> Here's a few swagger items from the E2M archive on display as an example:

> http://www.flickr.com/photos/91071283@N00/3381618836/in/set-72157615834963880/

> >From top to bottom, row by row - Centipede 2600/5200 announcement pin

> from CES. Atari XL luggage tag from CES. Atari Computers button (from

> CES and several other shows). Atari Computers #1 keychain with hidden

> pen, from CES and several other shows.

> Atari Corp. Advantage holographic pin, CES. Atari the Next Decade

> holographic button, from AMOA. Atari Starworld '78 from AMOA. Atari

> Stargate 80 from AMOA.

> Tengen KLAX announcement pin, CES. Tengen keychain, CES. Atari

> Pac-Man sticker, CES and others. Atari Pac-Man announcement

> holographic sticker, CES and others. Atari Defender announcement

> holographic sticker, CES and others. Atari Lynx holographic pin, CES.

> Apple Computer sticker, COMDEX, CES. Apple IIc announcement pin,

> COMDEX, CES. Konami Gun Fighters 25th Anniversary pin CES. Atari

> centipede announcement button, CES. Atari (Infogrames) light up

> pendant, E3.

> Try ColecoVision button, CES. Sega Genesis announcement coin, June

> '89 CES. Atari Family Entertainment Center coin, AMOA.

> I Shot Mad Dog on CD-I sticker/fully, CES. Sega Out Run announcement

> button, CES. IBM PC keychain announcement w/Charlie Chaplin logo,

> COMDEX.

> http://www.flickr.com/photos/91071283@N00/3380798663/in/set-72157615834963880/

> Activision (Atari 2600 era) bumper sticker, CES. Sega Dreamcast logo

> necklace, E3. Atari(Infogrames) watch, E3.

> http://www.flickr.com/photos/91071283@N00/3380798355/in/set-72157615834963880/

> Full set of McDonald's Atari 2600 contest material (game pieces,

> placemat). Not show related, but just an example of other types of

> material in the archive.

> http://www.flickr.com/photos/91071283@N00/3381618544/in/set-72157615834963880/

> Asteroids competition related material (1981). Below, Computer

> industry related promotional pens, COMDEX and CES.

> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Andrew Armstrong <andrew at aarmstrong.org> wrote:

>> Never seen a site/archive that advertises they take things like this, and I

>> would be pretty sure space is limited to usually more manual-inclined

>> material or major advertising (this usually found in magazines) rather then

> [...]

Henry Lowood, Ph.D.
Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;
Film & Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries
Stanford CA 94305-6004