[game_preservation] Nimatron: computer or electromechanical?

Martin Goldberg wgungfu at gmail.com
Mon May 17 22:12:51 EDT 2010

A computer, he's pretty clear on that:

"So it was the complete game of representing numbers digitally in a
computing circuit."

It follows also the basics of a computing device -

"yet the circuitry and all that was exactly what was later used for
computers, for programmed computers..."

"it was programmed to..."

"be able to decide on the next move...."

"So it was the complete game of representing numbers digitally in a
computing circuit."

In this case, they simply used the described reeds because they didn't
care about computational/decision speed as mentioned. Regardless,
electromechanical devices are also considered "computers". Remember
that fully mechanical machines (not even electro-mechanical) were
originally referred to as computers as well. I'm thinking you might
mean is it a general purpose computer? Most likely not, I don't see
anything in regards to it being a general purpose computer that was in
turn programmed to play this game. Rather it appears to be more of a
state machine digital computing device.

Marty