[game_preservation] Babbage's Tic-Tac-Toe Machine

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Mon May 31 18:32:09 EDT 2010

Andrew,

I contacted the Science Museum Libraries and Archives in the UK to see if
they had it (they list a collection of Babbage's sketches).

Another article I am reading references a journal that briefly describes a
game of Tic-Tac-Toe played on a computer in 1946 on the DEUCE computer
(which seems odd, considering records show the DEUCE was manufactured in the
1950s...maybe it was the prototype Alan Turing was helping build, which
raises MORE interesting questions). Still, it's worth checking out. The
entry is a little vague:

Davies, D.W. *Proc. Inst. Elec. Engrs., (London) Pt. B, Suppl.* 103, 473
(1946).

I believe it stands for Proceedings of the Institution of Electrical
Engineers. I'm trying to get a scan through Interlibrary Loan, but their
scans are less than adequate (I got an article on Oregon Trail where the
text was so low quality I couldn't read the code).

-Devin