[game_preservation] Game graduate school?

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 20:58:25 EDT 2010

Most important thing about grad school is understanding what you want to do.
You don't go to grad school on a whim.

The second most important thing is finding the right program. This involves
two things. One, what is being taught there and Two, who is doing the
teaching. If you know who you want to work with for the next 2-6 years, then
this makes it a better decision. Also - make sure that professor is going to
be there while you are working! A lot of times, they just go on sabbatical!

The third important thing is funding. It's infinitely more worth it if you
can get a TA position or some kind of work with the program to offset
financial aid. I'm currently owing about $40k in loans for my MFA program. I
could have cut that down quite a bit if I was doing TA - AND got some
valuable teaching experience. As it is, I'm working by myself.

Beyond that, I guess I'd just have to know what type of program you were
looking for. There's game preservation and there's game design (specify
which area) and there's game studies and finally game art.

-Devin