[game_preservation] game_preservation Digest, Vol 58, Issue 10

John Sharp jofsharp at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 12:16:15 EDT 2010

This is very close to connoisseurship, an approach used most widely in art history in the study of Italian Renaissance painting throughout most of the 19th and into the 20th century. The idea is that you become very familiar with the body of work in a given field, and through this knowledge, you begin to piece together stylistic and technical consistencies in an artist's work. It was a technique used to build up an understanding of who painted what in the face of little to no documentation. It was practiced by scholars, art dealers, collectors, etc. The best known of the connoisseurs was Bernard Berenson.

Connoisseurship was largely discredited as a serious approach for a number of reasons, but two stand out: increased emphasis on archival research, scandals involving well-known scholars and art dealers to collude on assigning authorship to a painting to raise its price.

John Sharp