[game_preservation] The Museum of Art and Digital Entertainment (?)

Alex Handy alex at themade.org
Fri Apr 1 12:22:21 EDT 2011

The way it was presented to us, the IGDA has information, data, and physical
assets they want preserved. This might just amount to throwing up a Web site
where this stuff can be catalogued. We plan to push some volunteers towards
the IGDA this summer to help with that.

As for the SIG, it was proposed at GDC that the SIG take up quarterly
projects, and the one suggested to do first was to find out what game
companies have archivists, and to evangelize the ones that don't so they
realize they should be saving their assets and history. To help with this,
we've posted a list of game development companies at
http://wiki.themade.orgwhere we need to add a new column to the list
for "archivist" and "has no
archivist." We can then use that list to pick out which companies should be
targeted.

>>> http://themade.org/

>>> http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/11/03/31/2252247/San-Francisco-Opening-Computer-amp-Video-Game-Museum

>>> Do you think they even know about this SIG or that there are related

>>> organisations nearby? Anyone up for contacting them or if they know them

>>> personally inviting them here? Even if they don't get off the ground it's

>>> odd there are some historians who don't know about us, we're just not well

>>> known enough I guess :)

>>> Andrew

>>> game_preservation mailing list

>>> game_preservation at igda.org

> Henry Lowood

> Curator for History of Science& Technology Collections;

> Film& Media Collections

> HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall

> Stanford University Libraries, Stanford CA 94305-6004

> 650-723-4602; lowood at stanford.edu; http://www.stanford.edu/~lowood

Alex Handy
Founder/Director
The Museum of Art and Digital Entertainment
http://www.themade.org
http://blog.themade.org
410-2-31337-2 (mobile)