[game_preservation] Gerald A Lawson Dies

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 20:42:14 EDT 2011

I failed to read this far into the New York Times this morning, but this
afternoon I discovered that Gerald A Lawson, the creator of the Channel F
and Demolition Derby, died on April 9. It's funny because I *just* read
about him in *Replay* (reading through it now) and he also appeared at GDC
though none of us seems to have known about this! The article also mentions
that Lawson received an award from the IGDA (I think this was at the IGDA
Diversity Ceremony across the street...). Being both a pioneer in game
design and electronics engineering through the invention of interchangeable
game cartridges, Lawson was also black - a rarity in the field both then and
now (IGDA Diversity reports only 2% of the industry is black). Lawson was
70, and I hope he remains an inspiration to us all.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/14/technology/personaltech/14lawson.html
http://praiseindy.com/national/wtlcam/african-american-gaming-pioneer-gerald-a-lawson-dies/

http://www.youtube.com/user/IGDAGameDiversity?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/-b1gnCMeiJI
-
Fantastic information on Mr. Lawson from GDC via IGDA Diversity SIG

By the way, was anyone here aware Mr. Lawson was at GDC?