[game_preservation] Article about proper SNES emulation

István Fábián if at caps-project.org
Mon Aug 15 07:48:41 EDT 2011

Hi Devin,

Unfortunately it's not so easy.

As I see it, the major problems are:

1, Get everything imaged properly. This would need to be done as soon as possible. That would require lots of funding to obtain the disks, but even if the disks are donated, it takes a lot of time of processing the disks afterwards to check the authenticity and integrity of the content.
Hoping that every disk image made is correct is just wishful thinking considering the age of the media and how common it is to find modified content.
In my experience a 30% success rate for the Amiga platform, and 60% for other platforms is closer to reality - the latter figure is only higher because of the amounf of disk images available as of writing this.
Naturally, when the preservation of a new platform starts, you'd encounter the more common titles, with much higher chances of finding a suitable copy for preservation. The more the titles you have preserved, the more effort (as in time and money) is needed to find the remaining ones.

2, Funding such an effort.
This is where I go back to your previous question: the only funding we (SPS) have is our own earnings from our day jobs, plus the academic licensing price.
So far we've spent 7 digit amounts to preserve about 3600 titles and to develop the necessary technology - and about 10 years.
It is however not something that we can really afford to do far longer...

Yes, we do have the technology now, so I can safely say, full-scale preservation is technically possible, but whether that would happen to the extent we'd like it to be is a different matter.
Right now I'd say we could get very close to 95+ percentage of finding fully authentic copies of everything ever released commercially.

This percentage decreases each year.

Kind regards,
István

http://www.softpres.org/