[game_preservation] Article about proper SNES emulation

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 10:14:14 EDT 2011

Istvan,

Thank you for clearing that up. To this list, I would also add something
else: making a catalogue of what is available for that platform, including
version numbers and variations.

Approximately what percentage of the different platforms have already been
archived? I also know there is a group in Japan working on disk-based games
lead by Joseph Redon.

it takes a lot of time of processing the disks afterwards to check the

> authenticity and integrity of the content.

> Hoping that every disk image made is correct is just wishful thinking

> considering the age of the media and how common it is to find modified

> content.

What is the minimum number of disks to have to verify for authenticity and
integrity? Do you need at least two copies to make sure there were no
errors? I didn't see any mention of this on the knowledgebase of your site.

So far we've spent 7 digit amounts to preserve about 3600 titles and to

> develop the necessary technology - and about 10 years.

> It is however not something that we can really afford to do far longer...

7 digits in Euros? That would be more than twice the amount in USD! Is
Kryoflux helping to solve this problem by distributing the work to
collectors and libraries? Have you run into any cases where someone has the
game but doesn't have access to a Kryoflux device? If that's the case, it
might be possible to purchase one and then mail it from place to place.