[game_preservation] Article about proper SNES emulation

István Fábián if at caps-project.org
Mon Aug 15 11:53:50 EDT 2011

Yes, we are going to address the Japanese systems soon and Joseph leads those efforts.

The minimum number for verifying authenticity for most titles is luckily 1 - as long as it was professionally duplicated.

For anything else made with non-commercial solutions (i.e. copied on the same computer platform etc.) ideally, 3 - but naturally it's never 100% certainty for those. It could be just a popular "version" of such disk that got widespread due to rampant piracy...
Unfortunately, it seems that most of the Japanese titles fall into the non-commercial duplication category (with the notable exception of a few Western titles such as Wings of Fury on the x68000), so it will require quite some effort to find copies that we'd have a high enough confidence in for being authentic.

The good news is that the majority of the titles for popular platforms outside Japan were all duplicated and that includes pretty much all 8 and 16 bit formats.
For duplicated disks, it is possible to find inconsistencies in the recording that are not present as long as the disk is not modified (or not written with a home grade equipment, i.e. copy program), that's why it is possible to have an authentic image from a single copy only.
Actually, many copy-protection methods look for various signs of non-commercial duplication in similar ways, but obviously working with higher level data than our tools do.

We'd have to see how well that works for e.g. C64 though, but it is certainly possible to tell about the first 18 tracks of a C64 disk already if it was written on a 1541 drive or a Trace machine, thanks to a mistake in the official Trace scripts supplied for that platform.
This can only be verified with flux transition level dumping, e.g. a device like KryoFlux that is capable of measuring individual flux transitions.
For tracks above 18 we can still look for recording inconsistencies, like we do with platforms using generic MFM controllers (PC, ST, Spectrum, CPC etc) and the same is possible for FM controllers used for Atari 8-bit, as they use the same principle for recording, just encoding itself is different.

Again, verifying authenticity from a single copy is only a possibility with sophisticated analyser technology and low level dumps from disks.