[game_preservation] Article about proper SNES emulation

Christian Bartsch | softpres.org cb at softpres.org
Mon Aug 15 12:09:07 EDT 2011

I think the most common misconception is that the hardware is the most
expensive part, but it's not. What really drains hours and money is the
research and actually analysing data ingested which takes whatever time
we feel free to donate.

I've actually been talking about this to some institues, archives,
libraries and so forth and they all agree... it would be nice to have
some kind of European data center they all could send their dumps too
and get analysed images or reports back. But to start such a venture,
you not only need the tech. You also need the funding to run things for
1-2 years, which easily adds up to some hundreds of thousands of Euros.

The money we spent so far was a) manpower (realistically more than a
million Euros) and b) buying games from various sources.

If someone was asking me, I'd pack my bags and move wherever necessary
to coordinate the effort, but even high profile libraries (like the
German national one), just put the box on the shelf and say "Look, there
it is". As long as politics don't call for _proper_ preservation of
_games_ (not considered art in Germany, at least not on the archive
level), they don't feel like spending some money for it. The moment they
do, it might be too late.

Christian Bartsch
The Software Preservation Society
http://www.softpres.org